Sunday, February 04, 2007

Grateful to be alive

I wanted to get up in sacrament meeting and bear my testimony today but four different people decided to take the entire time by bringing up their scriptures and preaching sermons. So I will tell you all that I do indeed know that God the Father lives and is aware of our every need, desire, action and thought. If you haven't heard already I was in a pretty crazy car accident on Friday afternoon. I was on my way to the temple in Alan's little chevy cobalt. I was driving down the freeway in the far right lane just about to get off at my exit when a woman decided to change lanes right into me. We were almost neck and neck so I have no idea how she did not see me. I swerved to the right into the emergency lane and tried to speed up to avoid an accident but she hit the back left side of my car. This spun me out into traffic. I crossed four lanes of traffic and was about to slam head on into the median when a van hit my left front of the car by the tire. That turned me back across the four lanes of traffic and onto the shoulder where I ran over a sign and finally realized I still had my foot on the gas and was able to find the brake. I stopped the car about 15 yards from a gigantic sign that would have been very bad to hit. The traffic was heavy at the time so I have no idea how many more cars were not involved. It was just mine and the two cars that hit me. My airbags went off and I was able to walk away. The paramedics did take me to the hospital in an ambulance but only because I was pregnant. I went and they monitored the baby for six hours and then released me. I feel there were many miracles that occured during all of this. First that I lived through it and that no one elso was seriously injured. That I was hit in the perfect spots that caused me no harm. It could have been so much worse. Alan happened to have the day off of school and could come right away to me. That the neighbor girl just happened to be walking by our window home from the bus about 10 seconds after I called Alan. She stayed with the kids until 10pm that night when we finally got home from the hospital. I met a nurse and nurse midwife in the hospital that both gave me their home numbers, cell and pager numbers for when I go into labor since the hospitals here are not natural childbirth friendly but they are. I feel very blessed and grateful to only be sore and tired after it all. It was terrifying but most of all I know that the Lord protected me and kept me safe. I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that blesses you when you are trying to live the commandments. This will not keep me from the temple. I will be returning as soon as I possibly can. Maybe even on Tuesday. I miss you all and can not wait to see everyone in a month. I can't wait to see Mom and Dad's new house and yard. I hear you can not recognize the place.
Amy

1 comment:

Mom said...

I am also grateful that Amy was not hurt in such a terrifying accident. Even thinking about it makes me wary when I drive, especially on the freeway. I can't imagine how gun shy ( I mean car shy) Amy must be now. Thank you Father.